Together we have made enormous progress towards our vision, but there is much work to be done into the future. Our plans for 2021 and beyond to advance this kaupapa centre around our three strategic pillars, with a specific focus on key initiatives that - with your support - we can put into action over the next three years.
Strategic Pillar One: Capacity and Community Building
To grow the power of our organisation and the wider justice movement to achieve lasting systems change, we want to invest in the capacity of and connections between our community. To that end we will;
- Develop and disseminate a range of educational offerings that grow the size and power of JustSpeak’s 18 - 29 year-old volunteer base, with a focus on increased campaign action and influence.
- Pilot a place-based capacity building program that builds the advocacy capability and power of (predominantly) Māori and Pasifika high school students to grow their influence for justice transformation.
Strategic Pillar Two: Narrative and Media
To truly transform the system we need a long term shift in public attitudes and beliefs, by changing yesterday’s conversation about law and order to today’s conversation about community well-being. Over the next three years we will;
- Develop and disseminate evidence-based messaging and stories that shift the public narrative on justice away from police, prisons and punishment toward community interventions, health and wellbeing
- Train and support experts (including lived experience experts), unlikely allies and young people to drive the media agenda on justice reform and solutions - including a particular focus on wāhine Māori
Strategic Pillar Three: Advocacy and Campaigns
Meaningful change requires pressure on decision makers to act by shifting policy and resources away from prisons and punishment and toward community interventions, health and well-being. Our mission in 2021 and beyond is to;
- Grow the knowledge base for the drivers of, and solutions to, the mass incarceration of Māori, with a focus on wāhine Māori
- Deliver focused advocacy and campaigns that challenge these drivers and enable solutions.